Old game box art, vol. 21

 More fantastic box art for your viewing pleasure.

Escape From Hell (Electronic Arts, 1990)

I've never played the game, but a name like Escape From Hell does arouse some expectations. Apparently, this EA old is an RPG about a man, who wakes up in hell because of an after-death clerical mishap and as the name suggests, he has to escape from the fiery depths to, I just assume, that better place. As a side note, the game uses the same engine as the original Wasteland.

As usual, I checked out the gameplay from Youtube and from the looks of it, Escape From Hell plays out pretty much just as what you'd expect from a game running with Wasteland engine: you move around in a top-down map and fight all kinds of creatures that stumble on your way. Occasionally, you solve a puzzle or two.

The cover illustration was done by Randy Berrett, just as are the two following ones.

Fountain of Dreams (Electronic Arts, 1990)

Here's yet another EA RPG that was done with the Wasteland engine. In fact, Fountain of Dreams was meant to be, or better yet an unofficial one, a sequel to the original Wasteland, but because of contract issues, Interplay didn't have anything to do with it. 

Anyhow, the game is set a couple of decades after the first game and you try to find a cure for mutations the lingering radiation causes among the remaining humans. As the game was made with a Wasteland engine, it plays in a very similar fashion.

I'm not going to lie, the art for Fountain of Dreams is among my favourite pieces made for game box covers. While I never played the game, I did have a poster of it on my wall when I was a kid.

Like the previous cover for Escape From Hell, the art was done by Randy Berrett.

Black Crypt (Raven Software, 1992)

Black Crypt was a game I wanted to play, but alas, the cruel fate had determined it to be an Amiga only release so as a PC player I never managed to take it for a test spin. 

The story of this fantasy RPG isn't anything groundbreaking: evil entities rise and you have to take a plunge in the local dungeons in order to take care of it or die trying. The game itself is a dungeon crawler in the vein of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master games. 

I'd love to say something about the artist himself, Randy Berrett, but I actually didn't find much information about him. Unlike many other people these days, his online presence seems to be minimal. That's an achievement these days, so hats off to him

I was able to gather something though, as an artist with the same name has worked for Pixar as a concept and matter artist. An artist with the same name has also done covers for music albums, such as DIO's Holy Diver. I don't know if that's the same Berrett who painted these particular pieces, but I didn't find much info about him either. At least we have a name to tag these fantastic pieces on. 

Comments

MatchedContent