Old game box art, vol. 16

More box art by Alfonso Azpiri, a Spanish comic book artist.

Ulises (Opera Soft, 1989)

The famed Greek hero, Ulysses is washed up on a shore of an island, where an evil witch has imprisoned 12 virgins. The people ask for his help, promising to help him back home as a reward. So, armed with a magical hammer, the hero heads out to smack some witch head.

This is, again, a game, I've never played myself, but as far I can tell, it is a sidescrolling action game. You do all the basic action platformer things and try to rescue all the virgins while doing it. So there's nothing really exceptional about the game outside the fantastic looking box art. It's a solid, solid composition of the titular hero slaying some monster. I suppose the barely clothed lady in the back is either one of the virgins or the witch. Though, I must admit she doesn't look quite virginal to me, 

It was released on multiple platforms, including DOS. The game is in Spanish, but that's only an obstacle for the start screen of the game, as otherwise, it has no in-game text.

Chicago 30's (Topo Soft, 1988)

Now, I must admit I don't know if the mobster couple depicted on the box is supposed to be a take on Bonnie and Clyde or just some random sibling hooligan couple, but I do like the composition and the style of it. Or maybe the dude isn't a mobster at all, but the hero of the game, Eliot, who, I suppose, could be the famed monster hunter Eliot Ness. Only the developer of the game knows for sure, I'm sure. At least the story description claims, that you are on the tail of the biggest mobster of Chicago, so you do play as some sort of lawman.

Yet another Spanish side-scrolling action game, but this time with a twist of it having a version of it released for Atari ST as well. And apparently, an English version as well, as it was also published by U.S. Gold. I do assume they had a bigger market in mind besides Spain. But considering the style of a game it is, I doubt the language barrier is that drastic.

Tuareg (Topo Soft, 1988)

I can only assume that the box illustration is about the event that sets the story of Tuareg in motion. In Marrakesh, the daughter of the sultan, princess Ait-Amar, is kidnapped by a group of Berbers. They've given the sultan a three-day ultimatum of delivering half of his fortune, otherwise, the princess will be done for. The hero of the tale, Ben-Yussef, heads out after the fiends in the hopes of rescuing the girl and I would imagine there's a reward as well.

Surprisingly enough, Tuareg is not a sidescrolling action game, but a screen-based one. You move from screen to screen, in a side view, and deal with enemies and some simple puzzles. I guess it might even be considered as some sort of an action/adventure game.

From what I've seen of the gameplay, the box art just might be the best part of the game by a long margin.

Comments

MatchedContent